Liberating Amaryllis

I decided to transplant my amaryllis plants today.  They were beginning to look a little droopy.  I had suspected for a while that something was going on underneath the soil in the planters.  So, I purchased a large bag of Miracle Grow potting soil and spread out a couple of plastic kitchen garbage bags onto the carpet in front of my greenhouse window.  I would have preferred to take this planting refresh outdoors.  Unfortunately, my house is still surrounded by at least four feet of snow, so, this task had to be done inside.

One by one, I took each plant down and gently nudged each of them out of their planter.  As I suspected, each one of them had a mass of rotting flattened roots.  Comingled amongst the rotting mass were fresh greenish-yellow roots.  It was easy to pull off the rot.  The brown flattened masses fell off with a gentle nudge.  After clearing each of their crowd, I inspected each bulb.  The yellow-green roots shooting out from each bulb seemed pleased to be liberated.  I replanted each, nestling them gently but firmly into the warmth of a fresh bed of potting soil.

I inspected each planter, brushing off any excess dirt before returning each of them to the greenhouse sill.  

Fortunately, I managed to contain most of the mess on the plastic garbage bags I'd laid out on the carpet.  I quickly and efficiently placed the root mess into the Miracle Grow bag and placed it downstairs.  I have every intention of emptying the bag of spent earth into the forest where nature will recycle it.

I finished off my work by doing a thorough vacuuming of the area in front of the greenhouse window.  Then I did a quick pass through the room with the vacuum.

I feel very satisfied by my exercise in root liberation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All I want to do is operate a deep fryer at McDonald's

Give 'm a Hand

My first blog post