Knotty Pines

When I was a child my bedroom was just off the main living area of our house.  I was required to go to bed promptly at 8 PM every night.  In the warmer California months this was pure torture because the sun often doesn't set until after 9 PM.  My father was one of those 'early to bed, early to rise' adherents, only his adherence came in the form of the 'do as I say, not as I do' mentality.  So, I'd often lay in bed, on the top bunk of my bunkbed, staring up at the ceiling.

In the outer room, my mother and father would sit, often with the television blaring, cigarettes blazing.  So, even if I wanted to sleep it was impossible to do so until at least 10 PM.  

I'm remembering the ceiling of my bedroom now.  It was covered with a series of knotty pine panels.  I would often stare at these knots.  Having spent so many sleepless nights staring at them, the knots eventually became faces, and I named some of them.  There was Charlie the clown, Delia the cat, and I even remember there was Ursula the witch.  So bored was I by this mandatory curfew in those early years I developed whole story lines involving the knots on those panels.  I referred to all of the characters as my knotty pines.

My father was a heavy smoker.  He and my mother smoked Pall Mall Red cigarettes.  These were of the unfiltered type.  While he chain smoked one cigarette after another, my mother would casually smoke maybe one cigarette in the evening.  I'm convinced that, for her, smoking was more of a social activity.  She stopped smoking for good in 1986 and never picked up another cigarette again.

In the evenings, the cigarette smoke from the living room would wend its way into my room.

Another of my father's requirements was that I couldn't close my bedroom door.  I had to leave it cracked open.  My father insisted this was for security.  For me, it was a convenient way to add mystery to my knotty pine family.  The cigarette smoke would swirl into the room, playing on the steady stream of light through the door, set slightly ajar.

As the light and smoke swirled around the knotty pines, I noticed other things.  I noticed that the wood paneling had a slight crystalline sheen to it.  I learned years later that the subtle crystalline sheen on the wood was actually nicotine accumulations from the cigarette smoke.  For me, as a child, the crystalline sheen and the smoke merely added to the excitement and adventure of the knotty pines. And there were other characters who lived out there lives on those knotty panels.  I remember a large spider who seemed unaffected by the swirling smoke.  I named her Charlotte, like the character in the beloved children's novel. She would occasionally receive permanent visits from houseflies.

I have always been fascinated by the minutia of life.  It was during the years of my evening solitude that I developed an appreciation for the ordinary, for the forgotten.  The knotty pine patterns in the ceiling of my bedroom stayed with me throughout the day when I would spend lots of time in the surrounding hills and woods, seeking out gnarly trees.  I learned that it was the gnarled trees that had the most knots when lumbered.  I imagined the gnarled giants of the woods carried a heavy burden in their knots.  

From the knots in wood, I turned my attention to the life in miniature that played out beneath my feet.  One of my favorite past-times was to lay out in one of the meadows, especially in the late spring, often on my belly.  I would turn my attention to the tiny flowers, plants, and bugs that inhabited the space where the meadow grass met the earth.

I have always loved the beautiful things that most people do not notice.

In this moment as I conclude todays journal entry, I am looking around the cavernous space of the upstairs loft in my house.  The ceiling that frames the large greenhouse window is entirely constructed of pine panels, eastern white pine to be exact.  And there are plenty of knots.

New friends.


Comments

  1. Named faces in the knots becoming characters of adventures and then friends - such strong memories. Did you have any siblings? You mention being on the top bunk. I wonder if there was a sibling on the bottom bunk who didn't get to share in the company of the knotty pines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rich descriptions tempt every single sense - the visual, the smell of smoke, and I love how you mention that you notice the beautiful things others don't notice and appreciate the small things in life and all they have to offer. I love that you named the faces of your knotty pines and that even to day, knots are in your living spaces as you write. Thinking back on the past and bringing it to the future helps us take common threads and weave them throughout our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am taking a shot in the dark here, but are you an only child? Your childhood intrigues me and appears so much different than mine, having 3 siblings. This writing piece is extraordinary in the way you not only lay out your numerous, visual details, but in the way you invite your reader into your story to experience it in way you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just sunk right in as I read your post. You shared your memories and made them come alive! I just love the imaginative worlds you both lived in and created for yourself. I bet you are a most interesting adult! Knotty pine conjures up so many wonderful memories for me, I think it is a period thing! Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can picture you laying there looking up at the ceiling. Your vivid description and recollection of the smallest detail brings this piece to life. I wonder if this nightly experience has helped you notice things in your writing life. You are comfortable in stillness, quiet, taking time to observe the small things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Give 'm a Hand

All I want to do is operate a deep fryer at McDonald's