Zazu: The African Grey Parrot

It is the summer of 1996.

Goodbye, Joe, he gotta go, me oh my oh

I'm looking at my Aunt Linda's African Grey Parrot.

Son of a gun we'll have big fun on the bayou

Zazu is absolutely nutso, bobbing his head up and down; swaying and shuffling along the length of the wooden parrot stand set up in the kitchen.  As he reaches the edge of his stand, he reaches up and inserts a single talon into his beak, continuing to bob his head.

Aunt Linda cranks up the volume on her CD player.

Dressed in style they go hog wild, me oh my oh

Think of a fan who is meeting their rock idol for the first time.  They're so excited they bite their finger.  They pull their hair.  They scream.  They beat their own chest, legs, face.  So happy are they to meet their number one idol.  This is the impression I get when I observe Zazu doing his thing to music.

Son of a gun we'll have big fun on the bayou

He sway shuffles and bobs down to the other end of his stand and repeats this behavior, alternating from claw to claw.  

In my life, I don't think I've ever met a more bizarre animal.

And Zazu won't dance to just any music.

Zazu only goes crazy for Jambalaya on the Bayou from The Brenda Lee Story (Her Greatest Hits).  He even knows when the song is going to play.

We know he knows it's about to play because he starts calling out for cousin Deborah when the song immediately preceding Jambalaya starts.  On this album that song is Fool#1.

He seems to think Deborah loves Jambalaya as much as he does.

"Deborah!  Come here! Deborah!" (pronounced: de-Brah).  He's calling to her.

As Fool#1 is about to end he begins to flutter his wings, screaming out for Deborah.

"DEBORAH, DEBORAH!!!"

He has learned to perfectly mimic Aunt Linda's voice.

Deborah is not appearing.  We see Zazu beginning to insert one talon and then the other into his mouth.

In this moment, I remember one of those old newsreel videos of the Beatles first arrival in the United States.  The camera pans the massive audience.  The fans are screaming for their idols to embrace them.

The Beatles are coming!  The Beatles are coming!  Oh my God, I can't take this!  I feel like tearing my hair out!  I need to beat my chest and scratch myself!  Maybe the pain from the scratching will remind me this is really happening!

Deborah finally arrives in front of his stand.  

Goodbye, Joe, he gotta go, me oh my oh

Deborah swings into place.  She is in lock-step with Zazu and his every move on that stand.

Oh, what the hell, we all decide to join in.

We are all now standing behind Deborah.  We start to sway, bob and sashay across the kitchen floor in step with Zazu on his stand, making sure to alternate the insertion of our fingers into our mouths, playfully biting down and alternating this hand to mouth movement, mimicking Zazu's excitement.

Son of a gun we'll have big fun on the bayou!!!

Someone cranks up the CD player volume to maximum.

We are the most bizarre family on the planet.  We take our orders from an African Grey Parrot named Zazu.

*    *    *

Brenda Lee, the Grammy Award winning country singer has just arrived!  Thousands of her fans are here.  Some of them have been waiting for hours on this tarmac for their own taste of Jambalaya to arrive.

Folks, something is happening out on the Tarmac...

What is this?

There appears to be an African Grey Parrot that has fluttered down to Miss Lee's feet.  The parrot appears to be writhing around on the tarmac.  Did it just shit itself?  It appears to have both it's claws inserted into it's mouth and it's screaming for someone named Deborah?

Crazy fans!  Isn't this just wild?

Some of us here really love Brenda Lee, but I don't think anyone's excitement can surpass what we're seeing with this African Grey Parrot, folks.

Time for some Jambalaya on the Bayou!



Comments

  1. I love how you wove in the song lyrics into your writing! Zazu sounds like quite the character! Thank you for sharing this memory from a while back. Pets are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my heavens, your slice is hysterical. The personality on that bird is unlike any of I have ever heard or seen. Your closing is utter amusement. I can just picture Zazu, the number one fan, expressing his excitement for his beloved Brenda Lee.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Give 'm a Hand

All I want to do is operate a deep fryer at McDonald's

My first blog post